Updated: Jun 10, 2021
Fear and self-doubt are two emotions that every normal person faces. These are also two of the biggest obstacles to success and happiness.
Some people feel more fear and self-doubt than others. And, some are better at overcoming these emotions than others.
Regardless of where you fall on the fear/self-doubt spectrum, there are many things you can do to rise above these emotions.
Conquer your fear and self-doubt with this process:
1. Identify what you’re actually afraid of. What do you really fear? Most of us don’t have to worry about being eaten by tigers. Our lives are rarely in danger. The most common fears in a modern society are failure and making a fool out of one’s self. Of course, there are others.
● If you want to start a business, but can’t seem to get started, what is your real concern? ● Maybe you want to ask out a coworker on a date. What is the real fear? They certainly aren’t going to hit you over the head with a rock. ● Be aware of your actual fear, and then you’ll have a chance of addressing it. 2. Find situations related to your fear that are only mildly uncomfortable. Perhaps you have a fear of public speaking. What could you do that’s similar, but less terrifying? You could:
● Give a speech to a group of friends
● Start conversations with strangers
● Visualize yourself giving a speech
● Do more group activities and speak up more ● If you’re afraid of heights, you could start by looking down over a 2nd floor balcony and slowly work your way up to greater heights.
3. Take action. Thinking creates and magnifies fear. Taking action lessens fear. One of the best ways to get over fear is to immediately take action before you have a chance to talk yourself out of it. 4. Visualize yourself being unafraid. Most people would be more succe